Sunday, September 6, 2009

One Year In Lexington

The Start of Something New

My last post was over a year ago. I almost stopped doing photography for a little while because I was doing so many other things in my life that taking pictures and this blog went on the back burner.

When I moved up to Lexington a year ago I thought I had found Heaven on Earth. Moving from Little Rock where the temperature averaged 98 degrees and humidity was at a constant 99%; my first week in Lexington was 75 with almost no humidity. Yeah, awesome... crisp air, blue skies... wow. Not to mention all the friends I was blessed in getting to know when I moved up here. I haven't had a weekend where I've been "bored" yet. God is good.

A Year in Pictures


Seeing as year has gone by, I'd like to present a few pictures that are from the past year in my life.

This year marked the first time in a long time that I've been to any sort of horse race. Keeneland is a twice a year tradition in Lexington, and I must say, I really enjoyed it. As you can tell, my camera did as well. This was one of the first big events I did when I moved up to Lexington, and it was a blast.

This picture is of one of my favorite places to visit in the Smokies, and, while it's not in Kentucky, it marked the beginning of some great friendships with my friends that I brought here. I'll never forget that fall retreat with Southland's singles group.


Ahh, the ice storm of 2009. It was a crazy winter, and this was definitely the climax of all that cold wind, rain, sleet, ice and snow. The storm had millions of people in the state without power for days on end, and was declared to be the worst natural disaster in Kentucky state history. I was still at work this week. Talk about an adventure.

This is significant for one reason: I took a picture of this exact same street about 6 years ago in B&W. Over the past 3 years I've been almost exclusively digital in my photography, but, due to some good fortune, I have happened upon some film enlargers. I'm working my way back towards doing more film, so be expecting to see more of it on this site. It's a long process to shoot, develop, and print images, but the final results are better than anything you can get from anything else.

Also expect to see a lot of unique cameras being used in this process. I've got two Kodak Brownie Cameras, one from 1909, and another from the 1970's that I'll be using in addition to 35mm B&W and 120mm B&W. It should be fun!

1 comment:

alice said...

Lovely photos! I tried shooting horses when I was at a track up in Chicago this summer, but didn't do nearly as well as you did!